Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ew de Toilette

I had a rather interesting discussion yesterday with my roommate. Apparently, I do not practice proper bathroom etiquette. Despite the fact I leave hair in the shower (re: I shed),  I do the taboo practice of sharing a bathroom: I leave the toilet lid up.

Small disclaimer: My roommate is almost perfection when it comes to sharing a bathroom. He’s neater than anyone I’ve ever lived with, changes the toilet paper and washes the hand towels. Despite one small incident where he took a small, ‘nap’ on the bathmat after a night of music and questionably legal ‘fun’, I’ve had no problems with him. But apparently, the same thing can’t be said for me.

It seems that it is not enough for me to leave the toilet seat down after I pee. I do that really well since I, knock on wood against spontaneous genital growth, have not ever lifted the toilet seat. I did not realize, however, that after a contribution in the toilet, I’m also supposed to put the lid down. I assumed that a lid up meant a toilet of welcoming. But apparently the only thing I’m welcoming is certain death by E Coli.

Research on the subject brought me the following article: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/07/01/1143577.htm
I’m assuming that no one wants to read the whole article, but let me give you a few sound bites. I’d recommend reading this before eating. It’s foul:

“If you flush with the lid up, a polluted plume of bacteria and water vapour erupts out of the flushing toilet bowl. The polluted water particles float for a few hours around your bathroom before they all land. Some of them will land on your tooth brush.”

“So if you flush with the lid up, you are probably brushing your teeth with toilet water."

Gross, even for someone who doesn’t believe in germs, as I don’t. I was under the belief that if I can’t see them [germs], then they don’t exist and can’t hurt me. Yet, even I draw the line against brushing with toilet water. I mean, I know what I put there so it won’t be any surprises but still. HOURS! THEY LINGER FOR HOURS. That’s worse than a belligerent guest at a party who won’t leave. Except belligerent guests won’t shit on your toothbrush. Usually.

Needless to say, my toilet habits are changing, starting now. I will use this blog as my formal proclamation: I, Sharon, will leave the lid down except when in, er, use.

In retrospect, this is probably why my roommate keeps his Sonicare in his room. It makes sense. I’m pretty much synonymous with the plague.  

8 comments:

  1. Actually, the Sonicare in my room is due to a lack of outlets for the charger in the bathroom :) It's surprising that more people don't comment on the randomness of having a Sonicare sitting on one's desk right next to the computer speakers. I'm glad science backs me up on the lid issue, but I was always more concerned about the aesthetics of the toilet. I see your point about the welcoming message that is sent through leaving the top up, but for me it just seems that if there is a lid on the toilet, it should be used. Why waste a perfectly good lid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I never questioned the purpose of a toilet lid until I met you. It really is a valid question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just learned this watching an episode of Bones. Who says you can't learn everything you need to know from crime dramas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It should also be pointed out that it's a very comfortable bath mat - bamboo bath rugs are luxuriously soft and environmentally sustainable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you going to remember to put that on the white board, or should I do it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) I love that you guys have a white board
    2) our toilet is in a separate room. Can we win awards for Cleanest Toothbrushes?

    ReplyDelete